two maidens at center stage
This image on the left
is a cartouche that was removed from the horizontal portion of the proscenium
arch and used as a model to reproduce replacements for elements that were
either damaged or removed in the vertical portion of same. This ornament
was originally cast in 1914 in Hannibal Pianta's shop, and has had all of the original paint removed.
The ornament on the right is the one that was refined and altered slightly
by Battersby Ornmntl to adapt it for use on the theatre's exterior above
the ticket kiosk. A large "E"
was carved in the center.
of the finished decoration
pictures of the finished decoration
of proscenium arch and house right box surround
at orchestra level box
of old paint at empire