Below is a photograph
of the original city crest carved in oak by Johannes C. Scholze shortly
after his arrival from Dresden, Germany. It hangs now in the City Clerks
office in City Hall. It was carved at the request of then Mayor John W.
Tobin in 1925.
It was used for 56 years
before it was officially recognized as the City Emblem of the City of San
Antonio on October 22, 1981.
This resolution was put
before Mayor Henry Cisneros and the City Council members by James C. Hasslocher,
Councilman, District 10, where Mr. Scholze (1901-) still lives and works.